2.28.2008

Sketchbook entries, on the internet!

The assignment at hand was to pick three different projects, made using Flash, from a list of seven. I ended up with three very different ones. It's funny, I had actually already seen two out of the three, I had found them because of my Stumble button (Never heard of it? It's time you got addicted http://www.stumbleupon.com/)

1. Their Circular Life
This site is worth the hundred hour loading time I get to wait for it to be ready. There are 5 different locations to choose from. Once you found the one you like, you decide how to watch the day. It is divided up into 100 images per day (24 hours), so you can watch a whole day in two seconds, or slowly drag and experience the day in more detail. Once you have stopped, the sounds of the moment can be heard.

I can't even begin to understand how much work it would be to finish this project. Just placing the images in Flash would be a pain in the ass. The site does a good job of presenting the video, although it does take longer then necessary amounts of time to load. The areas chosen by the artist are all perfect for this, interesting surroundings, foot traffic (people watching!), and overall nice to see. The sound was the icing on the cake. This might have something to do with the loading speed. I don't really have anything negative to say about this video. I had fun playing with it and was very impressed with the job they did.

2. Mirco Films
Also made in Flash, these little animations are a fast watch. There are only 20 to watch, so it only takes about 5 minutes to experience all of them (each are about 5 seconds long). Not to be taken to seriously, most of these animations have a quick silly punch line.

I'm a big fan of silly random things, so this was right up my alley. Even though the animations are only a few seconds long, they all are unique and have a semi-plot. I was disappointed in the fact I was able to go through them all so fast. I'm a little bit inspired to do something like this, but longer and more detail. These would make good icons

3.

Animator vs. Animation is an accurate name for this animation. This was very obviously done in Flash also. The animator had the clever idea for never leaving Flash, but rather animating an intense battle between a stick figure and the cursor in Flash. The twist is they both can use the tools on each other. It ends up being both entertaining and educational, showing how different tools can be used.

This animation is just plan clever. Based off the 4 hours of Flash experience I have, I can only imagine how long it would take to complete it. It's well planned and thought out, showing off the animators ability. They are on a whole other level when it comes to Flash skills.

0 comments: